Thursday, July 28, 2011

RX Bandits with Maps & Atlases and Zech's Marquise

Lineup:

RX Bandits
Maps & Atlases
Zechs Marquise

 Location:
The Hawthorne Theater

I'm stoked to say the least! More to come.
Zech's Marquise.... holy.... Wow.

So upon my arrival I see an old friend at the bar, we strike up a conversation which leads to others joining in. This resulted in learning that monger other than Omar Roderiguez-lopez's brother is in this band.

After a snarky comment from someone on the floor to the group, I'm pretty sure it's the bassist. I'll check that later. (though he really looks like Omar). If you don't know Omar, google him.

This band is wild, their music is erratic, and they have no singer. They certainly are tight and their music is well rehearsed. Not surprising though.

I just have to say this, their drummers beard would put a viking dwarf from lord of the rings to shame. IT'S EPIC! His drum skills are as epic as his beard, he's solid as a rock.

These guys are so organic. I'm sure it's rehearsed but it really sounds like they are just going with the flow! Tight beats and bitchin' licks.

Overall: I'm seeking these guys out for when they come back to portland. They are amazing.

Maps & Atlases

probably the craziest math rock bamf I've ever heard of. The lead singer looks like he was pulled off of a wild hippie commune, but that doesn't deter his amazing guitar playing.

I'm really loving that the crowd knows when to join in on some synchronized claps. The level of concentration observed on the faces of these guys is unparalleled! They poetically have to think so much harder just to get those crazy time signatures to sound impeccable. Definitely makes me want to just go home and practice.

Other than that though I feel there's not much to say. They're just frickin' talented.

Overall: I probably would go see them again at some point. If you want to expand your musical prowess, check them out.

RX Bandits
Too awesome. You are not worthy of hearing about their show. If you weren't there, you should have been.

'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment