Friday, July 22, 2011

The Doug Fir - Norman, The Tree Ring

It was actually a three band bill, but having gotten there late missed the first band. Apologies to you who opened :(

The Tree Ring
The first band I was able to catch was The Tree Ring. Highly recommended from members in the audience, as well as members from the headlining band Norman. By the end of the performance, they were truly spectacular, not to say that they didn't start out that way, but having never heard them before, the beginning of performances are greeted with a bit of skepticism. Needless to say they delivered, in spades. This group live is one you can lose yourself in. Simply shutting your eyes and listening to the immense beauty of their instruments, which lines up as follows.

Just listen to their music! That's all I have to say. Shut your eyes, and relax and listen to The Tree Ring. You won't regret it. I've been listening to it at work for a few days and I love it! 

(thanks to their website for this)
Joel P West : Guitar, Vocals
Kelly Bennett : Violin
Douglas Welcome : Double Bass
Darla Hawn : Drums, Vocals




CRAP! out of time, this review will be finished later. With photos :-D

Now I am finishing this. (UPDATED 7/28/2011)

Norman
So Norman got up and I had heard good things about them previously, and having some roots in my former hometown I was fairly excited to see them. Needless to say, these guys really rock!

The vocals were solid, their stage presence was good, and overall they were very entertaining. They certainly rocked a lot more than I thought they would, I went in with the impression that they were more of a low key indie sound, they certainly brought the heat despite that illegitimate preconceived notion.

I heard rumors that their drummer was sick as a dog too, poor guy. If that was the case he didn't hesitate one second at putting all he had into the show. It's hard being stuck at a drumkit to really personify massive amounts of energy, but he certainly did! If he was sick... I certainly couldn't tell by his rock solid drumming.

Lead guitars screamed! They were great, especially the slide. The guitar harmonies were legit as well, they went well with each other and one wasn't more overbearing than the other.

Definitely loved the organic electronic ending just before their encore. Letting the Moog do it's thing, while just messing with knobs and settings, that energy you just can't get anywhere else than a live show.

Overall: I am going to see them again if I hear of them being in town. I'm probably going to check their calendar a few times just to put their shows on my calendar :-D I recommend seeing them if you're looking for a rockin' good time. 








More Photo's of The Tree Ring:











No comments:

Post a Comment