Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Dark Backward, Ask You In Gray, and Sunny Travels



Sunny Travels
First up was Sunny Travels. Not bad! Being the judgmental person that I am I really didn't expect much based on looks alone, but they weren't bad!

The singer, while mildly overweight and wearing a badass Voltron shirt (the older crowd will get that) can sing! His pitches were on and the harmonies supplied by their guitarist were in tune! I love that.
They have ok stage presence, could probably spice it up a bit.

The drummer definitely has a niiiice Gretsch kit. Love looking at the sparkles on the finish.
Enough about the looks, their sound is good!

They are definitely feel good music, I could find myself listening to these guys on the beach on a nice sunny day. Rock/Raggae mix with some definite long beach influence. I think they'd have a lot more success down in the long beach area certainly, though I have no idea how long they've been a band.

Overall feeling: I'd probably see them again if I knew they were playing somewhere close, but I don't think I'll seek them out like I would some more favorable bands. With some refinement they could easily climb higher on my list. Definitely a solid band though.
Ask You In Gray
I like that these guys perform their show at full power no matter how the size of the crowd is.

Sometimes I hate myself because I can't help but dance to pop music. These guys tend to have the same effect apparently. I'm bobbing up and down as I write this part of the review from my cell phone...

Their performance is well rehearsed, but I think they could do with more performers to help create the sounds that are currently sampled. A drummer, bassist (synth bass... or anything!) and whatever else is sampled would have such a better punch the live element I feel.

For two guys though they are bountiful in stage presence! Teach other bands that! Seriously!
I just want to book these guys at an epic house party, they would be awesome! Or some big dance party, for realz.

The Dark Backward 
Spunky.

The look is good, but it seems like only the bassist and guitar player got the memo on dressing up. Maybe it's just this show, if the whole band had that uniform look I think it'd suit them well.

 Good energy on stage. All but the bassist moving like they're throwing their heart into it, especially the fiddle player, but I think it's because he's not locked to a boom stand for backing vocals.

 Drummer is solid! He's definitely into it and I've been impressed by his study and crafty fills. Lead vocalist is into it! Love that, not to mention get pitch and tone fit the band well.

Humor on stage, appreciated.

 Overall feeling: an eclectic sound, solid and rehearsed. Good mesh of harmonies with the music underneath. If you want to dance to some upbeat fun rock music, check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment